Ok so I promised you I would post about the game I've been developing over the last I don't know how long. I started a long time ago, maybe a year or two, and it was a bit of an on-off. It hadn't seen the light of day for about a year but recently I've picked it up again and have done some major improvements.
The game, originally called Arcade, but renamed to Retrostyle Arcade, is very simple. You play as an orange arrow (), and you shoot at green triangles (). You are equipped with a gun and shields (), which can be upgraded. You can even pick up rockets () later on.
It's not all that great, really, but it's been a learning experience and I think with a few small changes to the gameplay and graphics it might become commercially viable.
Let me give you some details:
1. It's written in Java, so that I can develop it in and for Windows and Ubuntu, but it will be able to run on anything (Mac, BSD, Solaris, etc).
2. It uses OpenGL, so you will need hardware acceleration.
3. I use a graphics engine called Slick, which makes writing 2D games a lot easier. It uses lwjgl but is structured a little like Java2D, so that newcomers aren't faced with insane OpenGL calls.
3. I recently added some 8-bit sounds I made using a neat program called sfxr , which is also cross-platform.
4. The game used to have a 2-player mode, but was removed because of numerous bugs, and I didn't think it was any fun anyways. 5. I made my own particle engine because the one supplied in Slick had problems.
No screenshots right now, I'm having technical difficulties :(
The game is far from finished, and there is no release date.
It has been a long time since I last posted. Something like a month... or more!
Since then nothing too exciting has happened. This isn't going to be a long post, I'm just posting for now just to let everybody know that this blog is not dead, it was just hibernating over the summer holidays.
I'll be blogging more often this year, providing studies and work don't get in the way. I promise I will not make blogging too big of a priority, which means if I'm not blogging, it means I'm studying or working! Unless I take another holiday break, but I'll let you know if that happens.
Soon (next few days probably) I'll post about my project, Retrostyle Arcade. I've just recently dug it up and started re-vamping it with a new particle system. Also, this week sometime I'll take another crack at the Inception project, remember that one? Plus I've been meaning to share with you guys my Ubuntu look (look mom, no titlebars!).