Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Inception, Part One

This idea I am about to share with you now is inspired by the movie Inception. I love that movie! It's really thought out well, and the concept is so cool and mind-boggling.

Similar to the dream concept in Inception, there is something called "lucid dreaming". A lucid dream, in simplest terms, is a dream in which one is aware that one is dreaming. My friend found that on wikipedia. Now here's the cool part: Ubuntu's latest stable version is called Lucid Lynx. How cool is that!? So that's the OS I decided to use for this project. Another cool thing that makes Lucid lucid, is that it knows it's running in a Virtual Machine. This is evident in the fact that it provides mouse cursor integration out-of-the-box. Cool, right?

So I begin. The Lucid installation went on smoothly, it installs just like it would in reality. This means it takes just as long, if not longer... It sits at 79% for like half an hour on my machine, and then crawls along from about 86%, mainly because it needs to download packages off the internet, and I have a crap slow internet!




It took a while (maybe an hour or so) but now I've arrived to my new Lucid desktop, running normally. I'm glad I haven't come across any hiccups so far, but to my dismay it did not come with all the guest additions installed like I thought, only mouse cursor support is default. Oh well, that's not a huge problem, I'll just install the guest additions myself.

I'm installing them using apt-get instead of the ISO provided with Virtualbox. I'm hoping this is a better way. It sure is easier to install and uninstall, but it means I still have to download the whole thing which is a pain on my internet connection. I had to wait at least half an hour for 8 minutes O_o (Maybe there's some kind of time difference between the Host and the Guest OS here... 15 minutes = 1 hour?).

So it finally finished downloading and it gives me this fail message. After Restarting I got no additions. So all that downloading and waiting hours (or minutes?) was fruitless. Oh well it's not a train-smash, I'll just revert to using good old VBoxGuestAdditions.iso and see if I get any luck with that.

Well would you look at that? It worked! Now I've got all the juicy features of the guest additions. I guess there's nothing wrong with the ISO after all. I've got it working in seamless mode and all the other juicy features. Yay!












So that's it for now. This is part one of my Inception project. Stay tuned for the next installment where we will take it to the next level (literally)
Head on to Part Two of the Inception Project

No comments:

Post a Comment